First Aid

 A Note on Training: This article will cover a wide variety of gear and supplies. I believe that certain levels of training are required to properly employ various bits of such equipment. Some of it, you might be OK with what your mama taught you or what you learned in the BSA. But as we approach the more serious level of equipment you need to have learned from, and practiced under, the supervision of a trauma professional. If you are carrying around a tourniquet or decompression needles and you have never properly learned how to use them, you are making yourself a shit-sandwich that you will have to eat on the worst day of your life.

Normal” First Aid First Aid Supplies

The household, vehicle or camping first aid kit probably doesn't have a lot of trauma oriented supplies. I call these the “BooBoo Kit.” These are arguably your most important items, because (we hope) you will never need the trauma gear. There are a lot of these commercially available, however I like to assemble my own out of supplies bought in bulk. This allows me to understand exactly what I have and tailor kits for specific purposes. A well placed and well though out basic first aid kit can save a camping trip or training day. In a SHTF environment they can keep a minor wound or illness from becoming a major problem.

Things I suggest having in a basic first aid kit (beyond what are in the commercial kits) are; a VARIETY of bandage sizes, larger pieces of gauze for more serious injuries or things that need to be wrapped oddly, a tube of antibiotic ointment, duck tape (rather than first aid tape,) I also always have with me a USGI triangular bandage which has a multitude of first aid usages, and a Mylar emergency blanket to treat for shock or hypothermia. Some basic medicines (to include; Benadryl, antidiarrheal, aspirin and ibuprofen) as well as any prescription meds you might need are also a good idea to have on hand, no matter where you are.

Having a good booboo kit is a serious measure of a “survivalist” in my mind. More than once I've gotten a lot of respect and saved the day because I had a band-aid in my range bag.

Trauma Supplies

In the previous section I said that basic supplies are the most important. That is because, at some point, you WILL use them. I hope that no person reading this ever NEEDS to use their trauma supplies. But if you do, they are certainly the most important.


For my definition, trauma will include injuries that might cause death before more advanced medical care becomes available. The basic trauma kit I call the “BOK” or blow out kit and includes the minimum of trauma supplies. I consider this to be gloves, first aid shears, combat gauze, a tourniquet and pressure dressing. These are items it is quite possible for anyone to become competent enough to use. (Watching a couple of online vids and practice give you a minimum, although real professional training is always preferable.) This kit should be in an easily identifiable pouch that is accessible with either hand.

Ideally this equipment is to be used on the carrier, meaning if you come across an injured person you should use their supplies. This is a military idea however, in the civy world someone shot in the mall probably won't have this stuff. Also, this kit is a minimum. It is a good idea to carry extras anyplace you can comfortably shove them. If you look at pics of combat soldiers in Vietnam or in Iraq you will see extra dressings and TQs shoved everywhere.

The supplies I have discussed will allow you to perform decent first aid on anything outside of penetrative thoracic (chest cavity) injury. More advanced supplies include things like chest seals and pneumothoracic tubes. I call kits that include these more advanced supplies the “IFAK” or individual/improved first aid kit. This is a semantic argument and you will hear people give these all kinds of names. I'm only throwing out my definitions for discussion. These are things it is possible for the untrained user to do more harm than good. I do not want to suggest you run out and buy them until you get competent training. A good rule of thumb is, don't carry anything you aren't trained to use...


I recommend North American Rescue for your First Aid and Trauma supplies

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

CQB and Home Defense for Civilians

Traits of the "Modern Munuteman"

The "Five B's" of Logistics